Arfan is a Qualified Solicitor experienced in Private Client, Social Welfare Law, Public Law and Property Litigation (including Landlord and Tenant). Arfan is currently focusing on Judicial Reviews, Statutory Reviews and Appeals (Housing) and Property litigation.
January 2015 - June 2017
Employed as a Supervising Solicitor in the Property and Public Law departments.
Arfan’s focus is currently all property related matters from buying, selling, leases, planning, rent, evictions, disputes as well Wills, LPAs and Probate.
Arfan further heads the newly setup Public Law department taking on Public Law cases.
He has had extensive experience over the past few years in: Welfare and Benefits, Housing, Debt, Employment, Race Equality, Probate, Wills and Trusts and Public Law.
Managing own cases on a diverse range of Property and Property litigation matters including:
– Landlord and Tenant disputes;
– Security of tenure disputes;
– Claims for Possession in the County Court;
– Neighbour disputes;
– Illegal evictions;
– Landlord harassment;
– s202 reviews, and s204 appeals;
– Judicial Reviews
– Tenancy deposit protection claims and defense;
– Succession claims; and
– Recovering possession from tenants, licensees & trespassers.
– Recovery of rent arrears;
January 2012 - December 2015
– Built on skills and experience primarily in Benefits, Housing law both Legal Aid and private clients as well aspects of Public law, Community Care law and Litigation ;
– Setup Community Care and Mental Health departments. Included applying for tenders and interviewing personnel;
– Provided guidance in mental capacity and when to utilise Power of Attorneys, Lasting Power of Attorneys and Deputyships;
– Created departmental analysis system to track case loads of fee earners, work value, recovery rate and identify growth and problem sectors;
– Drafted various templates to help efficiency ;
– Maintained strong relationships with referral partners who refer work directly towards own caseload;
– Specialised in Homelessness cases (Judicial Review, s202 and s204 reviews) which included liaising closely with Local Authority to achieve results quickly and efficiently;
– Capable of taking complicated legal jargon and ideas and giving a simplified explanation to clients especially for clients where English is not a first language;
– Meeting clients and conducting in-depth interviews to fully grasp the extent of clients’ legal problems before providing concise and up-to-date advice;
– Ensured all records comply with relevant regulation and accreditation policy;
– Exceeding financial year billing targets under Legal Aid funding and Private work with 96% + recovery rate;
January 2011 - March 2012
– Drafting Wills and Lasting Powers of Attorney;
– Assisting in probate cases, including estates with international assets;
– File auditing and resolving any issues or disputes that arise in them;
– Advising clients about various trusts and their benefits. Signposting to IFA’s were required;
– Creating new revenue sources for business via creation of niche targeting website;
– Maintaining internal case files, payroll, office efficiency tasks and any other work that may be require in my role;
November 2009 - April 2011
– Being first point of contact for legal advice and managing the drop-in service;
– Preparing paperwork after advisory sessions and contacting clients via post or telephone to give updates or gather additional information;
– Responsible for ensuring all cases follow the correct procedures with regards to follow-ups and welfare allowances;
– Advised clients on welfare benefits, age and sex discrimination including taking cases to employment tribunal;
– Recorded all interviews in a case file with statistics on type of work done;
April 2010 - December 2010
– Responsible for sub-team and allocation of budget to assist unemployed people into work, by helping arrange training and liaising with employers to arrange interviews;
– Planning and implementing marketing campaigns and analysis, as well as reviewing and updating current campaigns;
– Attend marketing and networking events to build relationships to promote service and increase mutual signposting;
– Conducting legal advice sessions in regards to benefits, housing and other issues as required. or signposting the same.
April 2010 - September 2010
Was first point of contact for existing and prospective clients.
Setup a new costing system to work out file accounts upon file closure.
Drafting costs for client files.
June 2007 - September 2007
– Administrative work
– Porting servers from one physical to multiple physical and virtualisiation along with built in redundancies and backup procedures implementation.
Electives: Planning Law, Leases, Website Law, Mediation
2008 - 2009
Electives: Acquisitions, Commercial Dispute Resolutions, Private Client
Passed with Commendation
2005 - 2008
Modules: Property law, Foundations of English Law, English Legal History, Contract Law. Land Law, Legal Method, Mooting, Public Law, Young enterprise, Entrepreneurship, Law of Tort, Criminal Law, Equity and Trusts, European law, Civil Liberties and Human Rights, Insolvency Law, Remedies and Restitution, Commercial and Personal Property, Advice and Negotiation, Intellectual Property Law.
2003 - 2005
Law; Psychology, English Literature , Computer Science
1998 - 2003